Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

What to do this week

Welcome all 2010 2nd year Mphil e-Learning module 12 participants. The journey has started! This exciting module will run from 5-30 July and the Assignment has to be finalised and submitted by 10 August. Please note the following important points to make a strong start (which will ensure a strong finish):

  1. Remember that the module runs on a central blog, as well as each of your personal blogs (on blogger.com). The address for the course blog is: http://mphilhse.blogspot.com.
  2. For today - 5 July: Please make at least one posting on your own personal blog in which you start reflecting on the module (what you want to achieve, fears, excitement etc). If you forgot your blog address - go to the cetnral blog (http://mphilhse.blogspot.com) where you will find links to all your blogs on the right hand side under "Blogs I read". This is also a good way of monitoring the module activities, seeing who is posting, and (very importantly) finding interesting posts to comment on.
  3. About the assessment of the module: Remember you will be assessed on two aspects: Firstly (and this counts 30% of your final grade for the module), you will have to post regularly (and meaningfully) on your blog, comment on the central blog, as well as commenting on your fellow-students' blog postings. The blog is about your reflection on your assignment. The focus should be how you use, understand and implement the ADDIE model and how you struggle, make breakthroughs and learn in the process of getting to grips with e-Learning in HSE. Secondly you have to submit an assignment (70% of your grade). This is done on or before 10 August on Webstudies and should include the description and critical engagement with your chosen e-learning project according to the ADDIE model. Together with the written piece of work you also have to submit your project/ e-learning intervention (a finished product would be great, but a partially finished one, or just a theoretical planning/ description of the model in terms of ADDIE would also suffice). All of this is of course in the module framework :).
  4. Your project: Before the end of the week - try and finalise your project/ e-learning intervention otherwise you will fall behind and find it extremely difficult to catch up.
  5. Good luck and enjoy the process! Please let us know how we can help. We will meet each other virtually on the central blog and your own blog spaces.

JP Bosman (jpbosman@sun.ac.za) and Bob Mash (rm@sun.ac.za)

9 comments:

  1. Whoohooo! Last official module assignment here we come! Seriously though, I feel it's quite fitting that we end the rollercoaster that is MPhil HSE with the e-learning module as I believe this is the future of education (being an educational Masters program).

    As much as I know this has been a tough ride for all of us, I know that the interaction we're required to have in this module will make it an enjoyable one.

    Good luck everyone....or as my High School english teacher always used to say before exams: "I won't say good luck cause you don't need it, I'll rather say may you get what you deserve because you're going to work so hard you'll deserve the amazing results you're GOING to get!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lianne's High School English teacher was correct - although I would like to add that working smarter should also be in the mix. Choose your project carefully (something small and manageable), start yor reflection on the process early (start today) and be constant (post at least every second day), and remember to integrate your thoughts using the ADDIE model.

    I like Lianne's reference to the end of the programme being the start of the future, and yes, I must agree that e-Learning (or hopefully one day we will only talk about integrated learning - or only learning for that matter) is the future of education. Precisely how it will look and work, and exactly what will take us forward (and not just doing for the sake of) is the crucial questions that should guide us all through this module's process.

    I really look forward to hear about all your ideas, your questions, your struggles and your insights as we progress through the month of July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone. I am assisting JP with the tutoring of the e-learning module. Welcome to everyone and I am looking forward to your creative ideas. I will be away most of this week (taking my teenagers to Vic Falls and making them do white water rafting!) but probably by the time I get back you will have some interesting blogs to respond to. Best wishes. Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, to you all.
    I haven't finished completing my blog and my information but I hope I will do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally, Rena and Adelle, have arrived!

    We obviously need this module to learn the basics of blogging and e-learning. It took us one day, together, to get this far. It can only get better! Neither of us have got a faint idea of what we want to do for our assignments. Adelle and I though that ADDI was anoter MPhil student's nickname, and then we remembered the video clip that JP played to us during the contact week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made my second blogposting 48hrs ago (see CritCareNurse Teacher) and have been checking every few hours in the hope that someone would comment. Please put me out of my misery and say something! The excitement is killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, below, my blog address.
    http://mirtagarciajardon51.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would first like to take this opportunity to commend the module facilitators for inspiring some of us to enroll in the module. The February presentation allayed the technophobia that some of us had in the past. Your advocacy approach made the module appear interesting and easy to sail thru, that is what made me enroll.
    Enrolling in the module, was an eye opener to me, because I had no idea that the techno-world was friendly even to novices like myself. I had no idea that there was a lot of free staff \out there that I can use to enhance student learning or to augment my teaching strategy.
    I may have not mastered the module yet, but it’s a giant step for me. It is the beginning of my long trip into the TECH-community
    Thanks dr Bosman for providing us with guidance and informative literature and thanks \to my classmates for your wonderful contribution to my project. I am sorry for not making any fruitful contribution to your project too, its because I was battling with trying to understand each teaching strategy out there on the web.
    Check me on the web in future you will see how I am surviving in the IT world. Believe me, the technophobia I used to have is all gone. I now belong to the IT community. I will be browsing the web until such time that I feel confident
    I now know how my department and school can benefit from the free information that is lying out there in the space.
    May God Bless you MPHSE 2010

    ReplyDelete