Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Time to implement and evaluate = the starting bell

So now we reach the stage where we have analysed our context according to an identified problem, designed an intervention, developed materials and plans and hopefully are ready to implement our PILOT / PROTOTYPE for testing through an evaluation process. Please remember, that in the case of this module, we understand that there is not nearly enough time for a full and in-depth engagement with this process. It is however necessary to have tried to prepare for the final two phases in the ADDIE cycle. A reminder of that full cycle and what it entails is available on this blog and will therefore not be repeated here. I will however continue to share my 'quasi' process as I have throughout the module.

As you will recall, I have outlined the process I have followed in the previous weeks of this module. I am now about halfway done with the development of the Google site that I am creating and it is starting to take shape. I used one of the templates that are available on Google sites for users to edit and found it quite easy to add documents, text and images as I needed them.


My implementation plan is for the staff members for whom the site is developed to receive an overview of this site and the purpose / outcomes during a face-to-face discussion in the form of a meeting. This will be supported by email correspondence. I will be requesting feedback from them on the usefulness of the site via a Google Form which will then provide information as to what needs to be added or removed from the site. I am also open to the possibility that this may not be the best way to support staff development in this unit and will have to respond accordingly as part of the evaluation.

If this were to be an assignment for the module, I would most likely focus on faculty development literature  to support my planning of the evaluation stage and instruments. I would also identify when, where and how evaluation instruments would be delivered and how these would be analysed. I would refer back to the learning theory and approaches discussed in the motivation section of my assignment where I would have outlined the theoretical and philosophical reason for addressing this problem and for choosing the tools that I have to address it.

Finally, being an educational researcher, I would most probably design my assignment to allow for minimal changes to be made before I could run a pilot study with the necessary ethics committee approval. That, I hope, is the way that many of you will approach this assignment. As a proposal for your head of department, funding committee, or ethics committee in order to innovate your teaching in 2017.....and with that, have rung the starting bell for the new academic year and another ADDIE cycle just around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Lianne. Your blogs about the process really helps.

    ReplyDelete