Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Useful tools for the voyage

I trust that you are all enjoying your cruise and that the waters are relatively calm after submitting research assignments. The ADDIE ship is definitely an interesting one, with many activities to do but also an oversupply of lifeboats and jackets for support. Reading the blogposts and comments made over the last few days, I've noticed a common thread - what tools do I use? I believe that the value of using ADDIE for this module allows us to stress the importance of starting at "A" and determine what the needs are first and foremost and then think about tools. So many resources pop up on the scene for computer/tablet and cellphones on almost a daily basis that it is often possible to be overwhelmed by the possibilities and end up going nowhere slowly. That being said, I've come across a site through a colleague recently that may be a useful tool for students and staff alike. ThinkBinder is an online "study" group which I found to be quite an interesting way to combine different resources and discuss topics at the same time. Another one of my favourites is Wikispaces where students and staff are able to have a conversation while building and sharing resources. Happy sailing!

1 comment:

  1. Hi all,

    I came across"Open Labyrinth" : http://openlabyrinth.ca

    There's a free or paid version, and the concept sounds great- it seems that you create a scenario and the student makes a decision (from a pre-defined list). They are then taken to the consequences/ outcome of that decision for this pt- I suppose a result or management decision. I don't know if anyone read adventure books when they were younger, where you would roll dice to decide which page of the book you would turn to next to continue the story? It seems similar, only one would hope a health care worker isn't sitting behind a curtain rolling dice to decide how they will manage you!!

    So I tried downloading the software onto my Mac, and it wouldn't run. Perhaps someone with a PC would like to try it?

    ReplyDelete