Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The magic of motivation

One of my regular "Blogs I read" is the Rapid e-Learning blog by Thomas Kuhlmann. His last post made me stumble on two wonderful short ideos about learning. The one is the fascinating Ted talk by Sugata Mitra on his "Hole-in-the-wall" experiments with technology in the poorest and remotest parts of India (children self-organise and teach themselves through technology). The other is the importance of motivation in the learning process, with a quick link to a short overviewby Kevin Kruse on Keller's ARCS Model for Motivation: Attention, Relevance, Confidence, Satisfaction.

1 comment:

  1. Dear JP, thanks for all the very interesting and useful information and links. I should just say that I am currently at Augrabies - beautiful, peaceful. However internet access here with my usually reliable Slipstream and six year old laptop reminds me of Mossel Bay's lighthouse, two short bright lights followed by a much longer period of darkness. However, I am on for the moment and unless something happens, I may get a few words through.

    I have, with varying success managed to download some of the "references". Will retry the others when back home.

    I enjoyed reading Kevin Kruse's short article on the ARCS model for motivation, primarily because I think this can easily become a major problem in my proposed program to teach registrars how to teach undergraduate medical students - especially with the uncertainty about the strike taking up much energy amongst the registrars. The relevance of doing a new course, without it being essential to eventually passing the examination, may not be so clear. Two important arguments immediately crossed my mind. One, there is evidence that registrars who actively participated in teaching of students increased their own assessment marks and became more confident in doing what they should do best. The second is really about the greater goal of medical education: to eventually improve patient outcome.

    I found reading this very useful and will have to chew a bit more. I will also have to find out more about Gagne's model nad Keller's strategies - perhaps not here in Augrabies though. I am looking forward to your next posting.

    Wilhelm

    ReplyDelete